Thursday, October 21, 2010

Interview: Danny Salvaje


Get to know the DJs that are making you move on the dancefloor! 
Hi everyone ! Seeing as Jimmy Strip & Danny Salvaje are both closing for Mark Knight on Friday October 22nd at Circus Afterhours MTL, I thought it be great to get to know Danny too.  Support our local DJs in the international sphere, we have got great talent right here. * BUT...Before you start reading the interview, check out Danny Salvaje on SoundCloud and listen to his stuff while you read ;) http://soundcloud.com/dannysalvaje 
                                                                                                             

DJ/Producer Name: Danny Salvaje aka "DJ Lift"
* Scratching your head about how to pronounce Salvaje? 'Sal-Va-Hey' which is spanish for "Savage" 
Birthday: March 9th, 1977                            Sign: Pisces
Occupation: Software Consultant
Current City: Ottawa & Montreal
Marital Status: Got married on a beach in Cuba right after Valentine’s day [can I just say, Aww romantic!]

Fav TV Show? Jersey Shore - I think the boys on that show are hilarious!
Fav drink? Tequila & Corona, but I’m also a big fan of hot sake!
Strange fact? I have a step-daughter that is 9 years younger than me...Ya I know!
Fav quote that describes you? "When emotion is expressed through sound" - Danny S

What was your first big party? My intro to the MTL house music scene was at BeachClub August 2005. I never in my life saw such a wild crowd partying like that before, even working as nightclub security for 5 years in Ottawa did not prepare me for this! Then my first massive party was Bal en Blanc 2006 which was the first time I started to pay attention to the DJs; however I still didn't know the music very well and was completely clueless about DJing!

One of your best party memories? (this is only one of many) I was also at the event that Jimmy Strip refers to at RedLite 2007 - except I didn't really know him at this time. Like Jimmy said it was a mind-blowing event and we all heard some of the best progressive house music ever. Since then and to this day the features of that night such as Sultan , Mark Anthony , Cesar "Bass" Romero remain some of the best prog house producers I have ever seen.  And I don't think the fact that they all live in Montreal is any coincidence. I think it is one of many examples that Montreal is a major hot spot for house music and is home to many world class talents.

Describe your style: The sound of Danny Salvaje is a blend of musical influences from both Montreal and Ibiza. Genres of preference: Progressive House, Tech House and Techno. My style is essentially music with attitude, sensuality and intensity - music that makes you want to move your body while taking your mind on a trip.  It will include and sound like - deep base lines, tribal rhythms, some vocals, sweet melodies with dark or dirty effects and a driving beat. I specialize in big room underground sounds.


Where do you want to take your DJ career? Not sure. In the past 3 years that I have been a DJ so much has happened that I never really had time to stop and think of what I want in my future because I have been so focused on the immediate goals I have. The bottom line is that I want to reach my full potential whatever that happens to be is what I’ll accept.

Who taught you how to spin? I was introduced to house music in a serious way in the fall 2005, but I first touched decks and a mixer for the first time in June 2007. I thank Phil Fairhead (DJ Dr.Phil) who is one of the best DJs and producers I have ever seen for helping me get where I am today. It was Phil who gave me my first after-hours bookings and has been a big help to me as a producer. He definitely was a significant influence on who I am today. But with that being said I have many other influences too like Jimmy Strip.
Did you have a previous musical background?  Yes, it started at a young age participating in the grade school choir at age 8 which led to joining the school band and then becoming a member of the High School Concert Band and Jazz Band. I took some music classes in High School and was learning up to 5 instruments at the same time - brass, percussion, guitar & piano. This has helped me as a producer in which the understanding of musical theory really helps!

Why do you like to DJ?  All my life I have been a performer; I have always felt at home when I'm on stage and in front of an audience. So DJing for me is another way of expressing myself to others in a positive way that has become an important part of my life.  What continues to attract me to DJing is seeing so much positive energy being spread out to so many people at the same time! Developing a connection with people through the music is very gratifying for me.

How did you & Jimmy come to DJ together? We were friends before we started to DJ together. It started with the two of us hanging out at various places and practiced together just for fun. We both always had a very similar taste in music and always had a good time when we hung out together. But what really lead to both of us DJing together was when we both became resident DJs at BPM Afterhours in Gatineau; we were friends and playing at the same club with a similar sound that led us to play together.

What was the best piece of advice you have been given in respect to DJing? Play the music you love and be true to your passion. Be yourself! Have fun!

What would be the one piece of advice you would give someone new trying to get into the industry? My advice is to be prepared to work very hard and invest a lot of yourself into it. But do it for the right reasons: For the love of the music and to give something positive to others.

THANK YOU Danny Salvaje !!! Cant wait to see you Jimmy on Friday night. Again, guest list can be granted if you ask Jimmy & Danny nicely - with limitations of course. Or, tickets available online at http://www.wantickets.com/ or through King Louis, only $20 !
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Danny Salvaje Website * 
 * Search Danny Salvaje and DJ Lift on YouTube *
* SoundCloud *

No comments:

Post a Comment