Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Party Review: Hernan Cattaneo b2b Guy J @ Stereo

It's been a whopping 5 years since I have posted anything on this blog, and a very long time since I have blogged in general. After moving to Dubai, and now being based in Edinburgh, I needed to resurrect the blog for the following post - hope you enjoy my review...

When I booked my flight back to Ottawa for the holidays, I knew one thing - I needed to go to Stereo, no matter what. I had this uncontrollable longing to be back at one of my homes, captivated by the music, people & environment. After all, it had been 3 years since my last Stereo appearance, and I was well over due. Between family gatherings, Christmas parties and jet lag, realistically the only night possible was December 19th, 2015 for the epic event of Hernan Cattaneo back to back with Guy J all night long.


While I had seen Hernan at Black and Blue ages ago in Montreal, I wasn't sure what to expect from this duo to be honest. But given the event sold out online in less than 6 hours, I knew it was going to be a night not to be missed.

I tried rallying my troops, and really, it wasn't until late Saturday night that I knew who was making the journey with me, otherwise I was going to make a solo trip. Accompanied by one of my best friends Blake, and my cousin Chanel & her boyfriend Fabrice, who were first timers, we ventured to Montreal all rather excited.

We arrived around 2:30 am to an already packed club. I had butterflies in my stomach. I was actually back at Stereo - the day had come & we were finally there.

My thoughts? Oddly, it was a tad smaller than I recalled... there were things that seemed a bit different. But what? The DJ booth was now on the same level of the dance floor, although slightly elevated - an excellent move in my opinion. Im sure the DJs appreciate being closer to the crowd & vice versa. And, the lighting rafters were more angled and lower down. Two changes that made the club seem much more intimate. But it was still this beautifully enchanting place I remembered; the same place I love, the same vibe, the same culture. When you take a moment to step back and just look around, it becomes obvious why Stereo has been around for 16 years. It truly is a world class club, an institution.

Hernan and Guy J had the crowd captivated from start to finish - although it should be noted that we didn't stay until the end. My dancing legs just aren't what they used to be! But, I felt like a kid again - not knowing what to expect or where the journey would take us. There were incredible melodic undertones, followed by some harder tech, and impeccable wow emotive moments. Im pretty sure I said WOW more times in that one night than I have all year haha.

The DJs were having fun, dancing to the tracks and engaging the crowd. I'd say that Hernan was more in control, playing a bit longer than Guy J - but honestly, who was counting tracks. To have a sold out crowd so enthralled in the moment and in the music is a feat in itself, and it genuinely is a rare talent, especially these days. To be so in the moment - without thinking about anything else other than the there and now, is so special - and felt good for my heart & soul. I just hope they will release some of their set so we can re-live the memories over and over.

It was incredibly refreshing to be able to dance without every single person having their cell phone out, where people understand the music, and where people are free to be themselves without judgement. How beautiful to have people come together regardless of ethnicity, gender, size, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or monetary background to dance under the big shiny disco ball.

"Merci STEREO MONTREAL
Everything was perfect from start to finish.
Ten hours b2b with Guy J playing for one of the best crowds i´ve ever seen.
Big thanks to every one of you!"- Hernan

Honestly, it's times like Saturday night that I wish I lived in North America again - or would visit more often making a point to stop by Stereo no matter what the schedule entails. I personally feel that I've outgrown my clubbing days - or my events have become much more selective, but I will never be too old for Stereo. I am already looking forward to my next adventure there, next time I am back in Canada.

Guy J & Hernan Cattaneo

As a side note, I had never seen Stereo Bar since it has opened - and I absolutely love it too. It used to be a dark plain room, but it has been turned into a beautiful lounge club type.  A wonderful surprise. It's the perfect addition to the club - so if you want to get your dancing shoes early, or even check out a different scene, it's all under one roof. Now if only they would franchise and expand for those abroad, wink wink haha.

Thank you Stereo Montreal, Hernan Cattaneo, Guy J, Mike & Tommy, and the Stereo staff that make this place home. And a special thanks to Blake, Chanel & Fabrice for sharing this journey with me.

((( <3 ))) 

No comments:

Post a Comment